Our Lady of Perpetual Help Church
Our Lady of Perpetual Help church is located in the Ville-Émard district of Montreal, known as Côte-Saint-Paul in the first years of the city. The territory appears on a map of the island of Montreal published on October 15th, 1702, some sixty years only after the foundation of Ville-Marie.
In 1904 and 1905, women of the area organize community activities with the objectif of raising funds for the construction of a parish church. This construction is more than essential because a hundred families inhabit the area. They have to go to St. Paul's church in order to attend religious services and that church is becoming rapidly too small. From 1904, a priest from St. Paul's church comes to say mass every Sunday in a very small room located in the school built on the site where will be later built the Levis School.
Parishioners' persistence is rewarded when Bishop Paul Bruchési, archbishop of Montréal, authorize them to build their church. A new parish is set up, January 13th, 1906, dedicated to Our Lady of Perpetual Help and went, from 1906 till 1917, to grow under the direction by the first parish priest, Rev J. Moïse Jolicoeur.
The church was built from 1914 to 1920 upon plans prepared by architect Hippolyte Bergeron. The latine cross shaped building has a protruding chancel.
Its outside walls are covered with stone while interior walls and the vault are covered with plaster. The carillon was purchased from St. Leon church in Westmount, is hanging across the large window between the two cases.
Stained glass windows above the master altar were executed in 1939 by J.P. O'Shea while those in the nave were executed in 1940 by a famous master Guido Nincheri who also executed, the very same year the painted decor.
The organ of the church is located in the rear gallery of the church and is divided into two matching cases: the left section contains the Positif and the Grand-Orgue divisions and the right one contains the Récit and the Pédale divisions.
Address of Our Lady of Perpetual Help Church:
5959, boulevard Monk
Téléphone: 514 767 5368
Our Lady Perpetual Help Church. Photo : © Provincequebec.com