The sprawling mansion and adjacent farm buildings are located in Quebec City, in a very large and beautiful park hosts concerts, exhibits, teas and fine dining. The large estate of Domain Cataraqui was constructed in several stages in the 19th century.
The property first belonged to Charles Elzear Levey, a banker and the gardens and spacious grounds were designed by Scottish landscape architect Peter Lowe in 1850. The estate was re-designed and re-constructed by Edward Staveley. A rock garden was added by Mary Stewart in 1929 and the gardens were later re-modelled by George Penny.
After the fire at Spencer Wood in 1860, Cataraqui became the residence of the Governor of the province of Quebec, Sir Edmund Head. Geoffrey Rhodes owned the estate since 1905, and his daughter, Catherine, married to the painter Henry Percyval Tudor-Hart, lived there until her death in 1972.
The mansion served as Tudor-Harts’s studio until his death in 1954. The complex has a tree collection, a mixed border, a great lawn and rock garden. Those who lived in the Cataraqui Domain included J.B. Forsyth, a famous merchant, and Henry Burstall, a relative of Forsyth, also a rich merchant.
In 1976, the government of Quebec acquired the property and opened it to the public as a garden museum Domaine Cataraqui.
Address of Cataraqui Domain: 2141 St-Louis Rd - Near Godefroy
Quebec City G1T 1P9