Timeline: Quebec City in 1850-1875
1850 Magdalene Asylum founded by Irish orphan Mary Keogh and domestic servant Marie Fitzbach. This asylum's mission if rehabilitate women released from prison
1852 Canadian Parliament moves from Toronto to Quebec
1852 St. Patrick's Literary Institute founded
1853 Opening of Chalmers Wesley Church
1853 Riots in Quebec City when Gavazzi, a Protestant Convert, attack the Roman Catholic Church
1856 Canadian Parliament moves back to Toronto
1856 St. Brigid's Asylum founded
1858 Royal Canadian Regiment is founded in Quebec City to help the British Army to put down mutiny in the India.
1859 Riot at the St. Mathew's Anglican Church over church elections
1859 Irish Protestant Benevolent Society and Ladies' Protestant Homes are founded
1860 Canadian Parliament moves to Quebec City
1962 Royal Rifle Regiment is founded
1862 Quebec's Ship Laborers' Benevolent Society is founded
1864 Naval industry prospers. 114 ships are built in Quebec City this year
1865 Canadian Parliament moves back to Toronto
1865 Gates of St. Jean of the city's wall are torn down. Other gates follow.
1866 As Fenians attempt to invade the province of Quebec, its capital is under martial law for a few weeks
1867 Canadian Confederation - Dominion of Canada is proclaimed as the British North America Act is approved. Quebec City becomes the new capital of the province of Quebec. The British North America Act enshrines educational rights for both Catholic and Protestants. French and English are declared official languages.
1871 Lord Dufferin begins his improvements of Quebec City
1871 The Uniform Currency Act establishes the Canadian currency as the only legal tender in Canada. British coins are no longer accepted, except for the gold sovereign, whose value is set at 5$.
1871 British garrison leaves the city. About 3,000 people among the military and their families leave the province.
1874 First gold club is founded in Quebec City.
A typical downtown house. Photo : © Lucie Dumalo
Something new under the Sun : On Monday, September 28, 1896, the inaugural edition of Le Soleil (The Sun) came off the press. The new daily newspaper replaced L’Électeur, taking over the same offices, at 111 côte de la Montagne. In 1914, the paper bought a printing press able to print 30 000 copies an hour. At that time, the paper employed about 100 people, working around the clock. The press began operations around noon, the vibrations it created could be felt throughout that area of côte de la Montagne. The front page was posted in the window one hour later, to the delight of the impatient reader waiting at the door to buy their paper. Le Soleil moved to rue Saint-Vallier in 1928.