The village of Abercorn is located within Brome-Missisquoi County in the Monteregie Region. The population of the village is of about 350.
Abercorn is located on the northern edge of the Green Mountains in the Sutton Valley, flanked to the west by the Pinnacle and to the east by the Sutton Mountain range. The Sutton River and the Clay River run through the valley.
Abercorn is bordered by the township of Sutton, to the north and east, by the village of Frelighsburg to the west, and by the town of Richford, Vermontin the United States to the south.
Located about 105 km from Montreal via Autoroute 10 and near the ski hills of Mount Sutton, Bromont, Jay Peak (Vermont, USO and Mont Owl’s Head, Abercorn is a popular day trip and vacation spot for Montrealers and residents of Sherbrooke, located at about 65 km from the hamlet.
The first settlers come here in 1790 and Thomas Spencer builds the first log cabin in 1792 east of Ormes Road. The village was originally called Sheppard’s Mills in honour of Thomas Sheppard, a New Hampshire loyalist who built the area’s first grain and saw mill in 1805.
Part of the township of Sutton for more than one hundred years, Abercorn was established as a township in 1929.
Address of Abercorn:
10, chemin des Églises Ouest
Phone 450 538-2664