The Saint-Augustin municipality is located within Le Golfe-du-Saint-Laurent Regional County Municipality, in the Côte-Nord Region of Quebec.
Constituted on the January 1, 1993, St. Augustin covers the vast territory of 2,058.70 square kilometres (794.87 sq mi), but it has a population of about 500. Its territory stretches along the Gulf of Saint Lawrence, whereas the settlement itself is located on a peninsula in the Saint Augustin Bay at the mouth of the Saint-Augustin River. On the opposite shore of this river is the Innu settlement of Pakuashipi.
No major routes link Saint-Augustin to the rest of Quebec and Canada, but it’s a major settlement in Le Golfe-du-Saint-Laurent region of the Côte-Nord. The community is known by its large English-speaking population. However, the majority of its inhabitants are Métis, descendants of Inuit and Europeans.
Many of the locals still practice subsistence activities such as fishing, hunting, wood cutting, trapping and wild berry gathering, using both traditional and modern technologies.
The area was originally inhabited by Innu and Inuit tribes. As soon as Europeans came, the indigenous population was mostly displaced and in the late 17th century, a French trading post was established on Vieux Poste Island. A number of records attest to the presence of this post circa 1720, when it was named Saint-Augustin–Saguenay, after Augustin Le Gardeur de Courtemanche (1663-1717) who in 1702 was granted the land concession "from the river called Kegaska up to the one named Kesesakion" for a period of 10 years. He was the King of France’s Commander of the Labrador coast in 1714.
The lower North Shore was opened to settlement circa 1820, attracting English, American, Quebec, and Newfoundland fishing families to its stocks of seal, salmon and cod. The newcomers mixed with the remaining aboriginal people, and their descendants. The resulting Metis occupied at one point some 40 different fishing communities on the shores of the area's numerous islands and bays, including Spoon Cove, Anse du Portage, Havre Saint-Augustin, and Saint-Augustin Island.
In 1870, the trading post, then owned by the Hudson's Bay Company, was rebuilt and became the site of thriving hunting, fishing, and trading business. In 1893, its post office opened.
By 1986, Saint-Augustin had 833 inhabitants. That year, it separated from the Municipality of Côte-Nord-du-Golfe-Saint-Laurent and was incorporated as the Municipality of Saint-Augustin in 1992, becoming effective on January 1, 1993.