Malartic is situated in Abitibi-Temiscamingue, on the Malartic River, in the La Vallée-de-l'Or County.
Population peaked at around 6,000] in the 1950s, but it declined with the closing of the major mines in the 1960s. Today, Malartic’s population is of about 3,700.
Malartic was established by Quebec’s Ministry of Mines and incorporated in 1939 in an attempt to halt the proliferation of squatter camps in the Abitibi region during the 1930s economical crisis and gold rush. The new town was named for the first of the local gold minesme name.
The mine, however, was named after the count of Malartic, General Montcalm’s aide-de-camp.
Three of Quebec's largest gold mines were located here: Canadian Malartic, Eastern Malartic, and Malartic Goldfields).
In the 1940s, when the town was closely linked to mining development in Quebec, Malartic had seven gold mines in operation. Remnants of the gold rush, some buildings on the avenue Royale still bear their false fronts that give them somewhat of a western panache. In fact, this boomtown style was characteristic for the budding cities of the period.
As we said, Malartic was deeply affected in the 1960s by the decline in the region's mining industry and the closure of the major mines. Despite the problems, the town lives on, its economy still based on its gold mines and its mining heritage with the Museum of the mines. A new project is being developed in Malartic.
Besides, Malartic has been enthusiastic in its development of a tourist industry, with the mining sector as its focal point.