The village of Saint-Laurent, located on the Orleans Island, was founded in 1679. For about twenty first years, it was called Saint-Paul (till 1698), then changed to Saint-Laurent.
The village has always been known for its maritime vocation. Until the middle of the 19th century, more than 400 rowboats, longboats and canoes were produced yearly in its shipyards. In that epoch the village experiences an important economic expansion. The wharf is used as a pier for trade exchange as well as a landing dock for visitors coming in growing numbers.
By the turn of the century, the Saint-Laurent Shipyard became one of the most important industries in the region. In the summertime, they built wooden ships, and in the winter, the space was used to store schooners. And all over the place, between 300 and 400 "chaloupes" (small boats) were built yearly by some twenty "chalouperies".
Many remains of the flourishing period can still be found in the area. The ancient shipyard of St. Laurent is now a maritime information park. Since 1984, the local marina of Saint-Laurent is host to many sailboats.
Saint-Laurent is twinned with Tourouvre, Perche, in France.