The municipality of the township of Elgin, located in the Haut St. Laurent County in Monteregie Region, was constituted on July 1st, 1855. Elgin is a rural municipality of less than 500 people.
Elgin is located between the Trout and Chateauguay Rivers. Its territory is bounded by the Canada-US border and the municipalities of Godmanchester and Hinchinbrooke. Elgin was founded by Scottish colonists of the Township of Hinchinbrooke, even though the majority of its inhabitants were Irish immigrants.
The township was named in honour of the Scottish Lord Elgin (James Bruce, 1811-1863) upon his nomination as Governor General of the Province of Canada. The territory is made up of farmland and forests. Many fieldstone homes and farms operations (many of them biologically-certified) can be seen here.
The community’s town hall was built in 1869. Not far from Elgin’s townhall is a local landmark, an old Presbyterian Church, known as the Kelso Hall, where volunteers host a cultural program during the summer. Elgin is home to the Trout River Golf Club and has two border crossings into the U.S. – Trout River via Route 138 and Jamieson Line on the Jamieson Road. The legendary Percy Covered Bridge, the oldest covered bridge in Canada, joins the Townships of Elgin and Hinchinbrooke across the Chateauguay River.
It was built in 1861, and it’s only remaining example of a structure built in the McCallum style in North Amercia. The bridge was classified as an Historic Monument by the Quebec Minister of Culture and Communications in 1987 and has been designated as a National Historic Site of Canada.