The village of 1640 inhabitants was founded in 1921, but the first colonists came here as early as in the middle of the nineteenth century. In 1840, the village’s name was Burbridge. The community developed at the beginning of the 20th century after the arrival of the railway, which connected Hull (Gatineau) to Maniwaki.
The name of the village was changed to Messines around 1919. For more than a century, the economy of the community was based on the agriculture (primarily, potato growing) and forestry, but during the last few decades, Messines has turned towards tourism. Indeed, vacationers come here attracted by many nice lakes, such as prestigious Blue Sea Lake, Big Cedar Lake and Little Cedar Lake. Local forests are great for outdoor activities. A public boat launch on the Blue Sea Lake is well-known among tourists.
Golfers can choose between three courses within the municipality boundaries (Golf Club Algonquin, club Le Sommet, Golf Trois Pins). Wildlife enthusiasts benefit form many trails. Besides, cyclists and cross-country skiers also have access to the Linear Park of the Gatineau Valley. The campgrounds are located in Messines: Camping Petit Lac, Manoir du Lac Blue Sea and Centre Plein Ari Lac Grenon. In winter, Carnival Festi Neige is a great attraction. It’s held every February. Messines has many hunting and fishing facilities, such as Domaine de l’Ours, Pavillon Moosehead and others.
To tell the truth, more and more people choose to settle in Messines.
Address of Messines: 5 Chemin de la Ferme CP 69 Messines